As you're preparing to get new vinyl windows installed in your home, you may want to start coming up with a plan of how you will decorate the exterior parts of these new replacement windows. Exterior window trim can help your home look nicer, and there are many options to choose from. This is something you should decide before replacing your windows because it might require some additional work during the window replacement project.
When you look at the outside of your home before getting new windows, do you like what you see? If your home looks plain, it will continue to look plain even after the new windows are installed, unless you make some changes relating to the exterior window trim.
One of the options you have is to have ledges installed. A window ledge is something that protrudes from the base of the window, and it can be used as a decorative item, or you could actually place things on the ledge to decorate the window.
Exterior window ledges can be made of wood, vinyl, or brick, and they are generally installed right after the windows are replaced, but certain types may need to be built into the wall before the windows are installed. Exterior ledges offer the perfect place for plants or small yard decorations, but you should make sure the contractor installs them at a small slope so they will drain properly.
Adding trim around your new windows is also a great way to spice up the way the outside of your house looks. As you consider doing this, you should realize there are so many options you can choose from, including:
- Materials – Exterior window trim is available in many types of materials, including wood, fiberboard, vinyl, and metal.
- Sizes – Window trim is also available in different sizes. A small type would be two-inch trim, but you can also get bigger types. Some people prefer placing a larger piece of trim on the top of the window, and then they use narrower trim for the remaining sides of the window.
- Colors – The other huge decision for you to make is the color of the trim. White is one of the most popular colors, and it is nice for a clean, crisp look. If you prefer, you could choose a darker color to add contrast to the color scheme of your home.
One thing to consider when purchasing window trim is the amount of maintenance it will need. Vinyl trim tends to hold up really well and will not need maintenance, whereas wood trim may need to be painted or sealed every few years.
No matter what you decide to do to the exterior windows, you could always take it a step further by adding shutters. Adding shutters to the outside of a home is one of the easiest ways to improve the way a house looks, and it is something that will make a huge difference for a plain-looking home.
Shutters are available in many options too, including:
- Materials – Shutters are commonly made of wood, but they can also be made of vinyl and other materials too.
- Colors – You can order shutters in almost any color you could want, but you can also purchase types that you can paint. This allows you to have custom shutters in any color imaginable.
- Sizes – Shutters come in many types and styles, and you will be able to purchase shutters in all the sizes you need for your home.
Getting new vinyl windows will make your home more energy efficient, and this is one of the reasons many homeowners purchase replacement windows. New windows can also make a house look nicer, especially when you choose creative, decorative trim and building materials to use for the outside of your home.